Design isn’t just a tool or process for imagining, planning and creating solutions for objects, systems or buildings. Going beyond the aesthetics, good Design is about delivering deep meaning through the experiences we craft.
Too often we find that design is neglected in our spaces, being an afterthought that does not fit the needs of the building occupant, with no real connectivity or consideration to the exterior and nature.
By putting people and the planet at the heart of everything we do, our regenerative approach delivers significant benefits. As we spend over 90% of our time inside, maintaining a safe and balanced atmosphere is a fundamental requirement.
We believe in creating environments that promote a better quality of life, encourage health, stimulate creativity, comfort, wellness, and encourage positive behaviour.
By minimising the negative impact to the planet, we leave a positive legacy.
Evidence based Research.
The constraints of a building and vision for the project all have a unique design and character which requires a bespoke approach to ensure it’s success. In collaboration with all stakeholders involved in a project, we take time to gather evidence to build a complete picture and develop a brief that will ensure the best project outcome, that encourages the wellbeing of the building occupiers and fulfils the requirements of the client.
We will undertake rigorous research to understand the functional as well as aesthetic needs of the space, working with science and nature in an integrated approach.
Our Regenerative Framework;
When designing regeneratively we apply the following;
1. A Health and Wellbeing philosophy;
We are being guided by The WELL building standard and its 10 components as Its the first building standard to focus exclusively on the health and wellness of the people in buildings.
Each feature is designed to address issues that impact the health, comfort or knowledge of occupants and is based on years of scientific research.
Using the 10 WELL concepts we design to;
- Minimise indoor air pollution by reducing toxins and providing adequate ventilation. (Air)
- Ensure building occupants receive optimal quality of water for various uses. (water)
- Reduce occupant exposure to harmful contaminants that may originate from food prep materials and eliminate surfaces that harbour pathogens, provide sufficient food storage. (nourishment)
- Ensure adequate lighting, supporting circadian health (lighting)
- Plan and coordinate spaces/furniture human centrically; Create accessible design that is adaptable to grow with clients changing needs; Reduce physical strain and maximise ergonomic comfort and safety (movement)
- Ensure acoustic comforts (sound)
- Maximise and personalise thermal comfort (thermal comfort)
- Create unique and culturally rich spaces (mind)
- Biophilic principles- to nurture the innate human-nature connection by including the natural environment in interior and exterior design (mind)
- Create spacious, familiar and aesthetically appealing spaces (mind)
- Create spaces that connect communities and allow integration with nature. (community)
- Enhance our relationship indoors to nature by using natural materials where textures, colours and patterns soften the space/furniture. (materials)
2. We also apply our 3 guiding principles to every project;
- Renewable; designing and creating using Renewable biodegradable materials to ensure we minimise environmental impact by reducing pollutants in our environments, and enhancing the recyclability of materials, to increase energy and material efficiency.
- Traceable; Our Ethical and Transparent values ensure that we only partner with the most sustainable suppliers using a vigorous quality assurance process where we can trace all parts of the supply chain.
- Re-usable; Using a circular process in our design and manufacture of our products ensures that waste is designed out and all the furniture can be updated with new parts, be re-used or integrated into new contexts. By sourcing and making good quality long lasting items benefits the planet and the client.
We believe the ultimate in living and wellbeing is achieved when following our framework.
Our expertise at working holistically across projects from the design through to creation ensures that what has been designed does translate accurately into construction and can be repurposed in the future.
- Vision and evidence gathering including pre-occupancy survey
- Develop the brief.
- The concept
- Initial design ideas
- Detailed designs/working drawings
- In-use and evaluations on-going.